Building a village is building a nation – Fr. Windey S.J.
BLESS strongly believes the community is the director of its own development. Anyone can build a house, but building a community is a process. Our programs are designed to empower villagers to become managers of their own livelihood, village, and environment. Shelter is a basic need among every family, which must be met before other improvements can be made. It is impossible for Bless to support all families in Tamil Nadu, but we are doing our best to assist the most needy.
Tsunami housing: The 2004 Tsunami disaster completely devastated many villages. BLESS, in collaboration with national and international NGOs, supported many families through the disaster in material ways, by building houses and reconstructing villages, but also through building social links.
- Shanmuga Nagar (near Porto Novo) – an Irular tribal community. BLESS constructed 62 houses, a community hall, market, Childcare Centre, multiple eco-toilets, and a windmill. Financial assistance provided by Solidarité France, Care India, and Plan International.
- Vijayapuri (near Killai) – BLESS constructed 14 houses for cycle fish vendors. Financial assistance provided by DESWOS, Germany.
- Sakthi Nagar (near Porto Novo) – 48 houses for tribal families. Financial assistance provided by Plan International.
- Valampuri (near Porto Novo) – 25 houses for fishermen. Financial assistance provided by Plan International.
- Karikan Nagar, Reddichavady – 36 houses for the flood-affected Dalit community. Financial assistance provided by Wherever the Need, UK.
- Karunanithisalai (near Porto Novo) – 64 houses for Muslims, fishermen, Dalit families. Financial assistance provided by Solidarité France
- Ponnerikarai – 1 house for a flood-affected family. Financial assistance provided by Bob in Boston, USA.
- Othiathur (Villupuram District) – 1 house for a woman-headed family. Financial assistance provided by Breathe of Tree, Korea.
- Cuddalore District – 100 houses constructed for families affected by the 2011 Thane Cyclone. Financial assistance provided by DESWOS, Germany.
Bless is engaged in repairing and maintaining the villages through the VRO programme, in collaboration with E-club, Austria.
- Aruvappam – Ananda Nagar. 54 houses for a Christian Community.
- Alanchari – Vinoba Nagar. 36 houses for a Dalith Community.
- Andarakem – Kancheepuram district. 32 houses.